Background: More than 45 million participants are expected to join the National Education Association’s 18th annual Read Across America Day celebration this year on Wednesday, March 2. Here’s a rundown on activities taking place and ways you can help us spread the word about the nation’s largest reading event!
NEA’s Read Across America Day 2016
The 19th annual NEA’s Read Across America Day will take place on Tuesday, March 2, 2016. NEA is teaming up with Dr. Seuss Enterprises and Random House to celebrate the recent debut of Dr. Seuss’ “What Pet Should I Get,” a recently discovered manuscript by Ted Geisel. Working with our partners and NEA members, NEA will encourage schools and organizations throughout the country to feature this popular book to their RAA Day celebrations.
Books Across America Grants
NEA’s Read Across America and the NEA Foundation will make 100 $1,000 awards to public schools serving economically disadvantaged students to purchase diverse books for school libraries. The 2016 NEA’s Books Across America Library Books Awards are made possible by a contribution by The Weinstein Company and Walden Media in connection to their recent film The Giver, based on the popular young adult novel by Lois Lowry.
NEA members are currently able to apply for these grants by going to nea.org/readacross from now until April 29, 2016. Grants will be announced by May 15 on neafoundation.org.
Southwest Airlines Partnership
Southwest Airlines will serve as the official airline of NEA’s Read Across America program through July 2016. The SWA-NEA RAA partnership will promote the importance of reading and literacy to family travelers and promote the overall mission of “NEA’s Read Across America” program.
Digital Tools & Resources:
Stickers: If you need Read Across America stickers, contact us at email@example.com and we’ll send some to you right away!
Twitter: Keep an eye out for tweets from @NEAToday and use the hashtag #readacrossamerica
- Are you ready for Read Across America? Join millions of readers on March 2rd! #readacrossamerica http://bit.ly/y8RGp4
- Get ready to read on March 2. It’s Read Across America Day! #readacrossamerica http://bit.ly/y8RGp4
- Our RAA Reading Tour off to great places and seeing new faces. Follow it here! #readacrossamerica http://bit.ly/y8RGp4
- March 2 is Read Across America Day. Great things that happen when families read together! #readacrossamerica http://bit.ly/y8RGp4
- Is #readacrossamerica on Pinterest? Yes we are! Ideas, resources and your decorated doors! pinterest.com/readacross/
- Who will you be reading with? NEA’s Read Across America is March 2rd! Find out more & join the fun! #readacrossamerica http://bit.ly/y8RGp4
- Are you looking for reading resources and ideas for Read Across America? We have them! #readacrossamerica http://bit.ly/1cVYJ4A
- Don’t have the NEA’s Read Across America poster yet? Here it is! #readacrossamerica http://bit.ly/1cVYJ4A
- Is your school planning any wacky Read Across America activities? Share them using #readacrossamerica
- Everything you need to plan your Read Across America reading event http://bit.ly/1cVYJ4A
- #readacrossamerica Day is March 2! Find out how you can celebrate, visit nea.org/readacross @NEAToday
- You’re never too old, too wacky, or too wild to pick up a book and read with a child! #readacrossamerica @NEAToday
- Don’t forget to pick up a book and read with a child on March 2, #readacrossamerica @NEAToday
Graphics: Use these on your social media properties as cover photos or profile pictures, and encourage your fans to share them! For more Read Across images for your Facebook/Twitter properties, click here à http://www.pinterest.com/readacross/images-for-social-media
Tools You Can Use:
- Download and Share: www.nea.org/readacross
- NEA’s Read Across America on Facebook
- NEA’s Read Across America on Pinterest
- Read Across America tweets will be @NEAToday
- Follow NEAToday on Instagram!
- Follow our Flickr stream
- View and share our Read Across Videos