By Jim Haddadin
Wednesday, April 24, 2013
DOVER — New Hampshire State Rep. Stella Tremblay is calling for answers about whether the American government was involved in detonating explosives at the Boston Marathon last week, killing three people and wounding more than 170 others.
In an interview with Foster’s Daily Democrat Tuesday, Tremblay said she can’t rule out the possibility the government was involved in carrying out the bombings.
Tremblay’s remarks came a few hours after she was criticized by the New Hampshire Democratic Party for a comment she posted on Facebook several days earlier, in which Tremblay wrote that the marathon attack on April 15 was carried out by “Black Ops.”
In a comment posted on Facebook on April 19 at 10:24 a.m., Tremblay wrote that Monday’s attack occurred “Top Down, Bottom UP.”
“The Boston Marathon was a Black Ops ‘terrorist’ attack,” Tremblay wrote in a message to conservative commentator Glenn Beck. “One suspect killed, the other one will be too before they even have a chance to speak. Drones and now ‘terrorist’ attacks by our own Government. Sad day, but a ‘wake up’ to all of us. First there was a ‘suspect’ then there wasn’t.”
Tremblay also posted a link to a video hosted on YouTube, titled “PROOF! Boston Marathon Bombing is Staged Terror Attack.”
Contacted on Tuesday, Tremblay said she questions the interpretation of the bombings that has been offered by police and the Federal Bureau of Investigation. Authorities have identified two brothers who were living in Cambridge, Mass., as the suspects in the bombings. One of the men, 26-year-old Tamerlan Tsarnaev, was killed during a shootout with police in Watertown, Mass., early Friday morning. His brother, 19-year-old Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, escaped on foot and was apprehended later that evening, hiding out in a boat in a homeowner’s backyard.
Dzhokhar Tsarnaev was arraigned Monday on a federal charge of conspiracy to detonate a weapon of mass destruction.
Even before Dzhokhar Tsarnaev was captured, Tremblay said she began to question the story being advanced by government officials. Pictures of the marathon posted online show men wearing black backpacks at the scene, Tremblay said, leading her to question whether the men were government operatives who had a hand in last week’s carnage.
“I was with, it was one of my constituents that sent me an email, and it went to a site where a, I think it was a major retired marine was speaking, and then he said, ‘Please go to Infowars,’ and they had pictures of, what is it, black ops? With black backpacks. They show them at the scene, so they knew something was going on, because there wouldn’t have been that many of them,” Tremblay said.
The Auburn state representative also outlined some of the other activity that she deems suspicious in the wake of the bombings. For example, Tremblay said, CNN correspondent John King and others in the media reported early after the bombings that a suspect was in custody, but no suspect materialized. Around the same time, she said, a Saudi Arabian man who was at the bombing site received burn wounds. Tremblay says the man was questioned for nine hours, and the FBI created an “event file” about him. Then, she said, when authorities went to search his apartment, Secretary of State John Kerry met with the Saudi Arabian ambassador behind closed doors.
“There’s just too many things going on that, to me, doesn’t make any sense,” Tremblay said.
Tremblay’s assertions were met with skepticism by members of the state Democratic party, who sought quickly to tie Tremblay to other high profile Republicans from New Hampshire.
“How long will it take Republican U.S. Senator Kelly Ayotte, Senate Republican Leader Jeb Bradley, and House Republican Leader Gene Chandler to condemn Representative Tremblay’s vile and chilling comments?” NHDP Communications Director Harrell Kirstein said in a prepared statement. “Tremblay’s post is further proof of what can only be called an epidemic of disgusting and shockingly inappropriate behavior by members of the New Hampshire Republican Party.”
In response, House Minority Leader Gene Chandler wrote that Tremblay’s comments are “highly offensive, egregious, and irrational.”
“They are severely troubling and unbecoming of any public office holder or citizen of our great nation. I am ashamed that Rep. Tremblay saw fit to disseminate radical conspiracy theories online. She in no way represents the views of the caucus, the Republican party or the Granite State.”
The New Hampshire Republican State Committee characterized Tremblay’s remarks as “bizarre.”
“It is hard to believe that just days after the cowardly acts of terror took place in our backyard that Representative Tremblay would thoroughly discredit herself with her bizarre, embarrassing and unfounded comments,” the statement reads. “New Hampshire Republicans strongly reject her outlandish views and believe that anybody who holds such bizarre beliefs should not be taken seriously.”
Tremblay emphasized that her views don’t fall down party lines. Republicans, Independents and Democrats alike should demand “honest answers,” she said.“Why are you leaving it to some dumb representative to ask questions, when the reporters should be doing their job?” she asked. “Are you that blind that you’re not willing to ask questions of your government?”
- NH State Rep. Questions Reaction In Photo By Bombing Victim Jeff Bauman (boston.cbslocal.com)
- Tremblay criticized for comments on bombing victim (wmur.com)